Set up an 'Add a Shape' station –
- place a starter sculpture of 3 tetrahedrons glued together, a stack of paper, a bottle of glue, and scissors at the side of the room
- invite students to add a shape whenever they need a break or have finished their work early
- leave the 'Add a Shape' station set up for at least a month and see how big the sculpture can grow
- allow it to change shape and fall to a new base so it grows organically
- let it be a conversation piece and have students draw it from different points of view
- from time to time discuss what is happening with the sculpture as it gets larger and changes
- use it as a story starter, for example, What if you were small enough to travel through this space? What adventures would you have?
- once you decide to stop the station, ask students what they learned by participating in the 'Add a Shape'.